The Metropolitan Police Department cautions everyone to take the time to learn more about protecting yourself and your property during the Holidays. There has been an increase in crimes of opportunity in our neighborhood and we advise you to read the TIPS provided here below:
· Never open your front door automatically. Install and use a peephole.
· Keep your doors and windows locked.
· Vary your daily routine (Routine Activities).
· Use "Neighborhood Watch" to keep an eye on your neighborhood and neighbors.
· Leave lights on when going out at night; use a timer to turn lights on/ off when you are away for an extended period of time.
· Notify neighbors and the police when going away on a trip.
· When you are away remember to cancel deliveries such as newspapers and magazines. Arrange for your mail to be held by the Post Office, or ask a neighbor to collect it for you.
· Report crime or suspicious activities by calling 911.
· Install deadbolt locks on all your doors.
· Keep your home well lit at night, inside and out; keep curtains closed.
· Ask for proper identification from delivery persons and/ or contractors.
· When having contract work performed in the home, try to have someone that is trustworthy supervise workers.
· If a stranger asks to use your telephone, offer to place the call for him or her yourself, never let a stranger into your home.
· Do not leave notes on your door when you are gone.
· Do not hide your keys under the mat or outside in other conspicuous places.
· Never give out information over the phone indicating you are alone or that you won't be home at a certain time.
· If you arrive at home and suspect a stranger may be inside, DO NOT GO IN. Leave quickly and call 911 immediately.
I hope that these TIPS are helpful to you and your family and that you have a Happy and SAFE Holiday Season!